These are so versatile, quick, and easy to make! Dip or coat them in your favourite sauce.
- 1 block of extra-firm, organic non-GMO tofu, (if frozen, thawed) and pressed
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce (or gluten-free tamari)
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning or poultry seasoning
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- ¾ c unsweetened, plant-based milk
- 1 c flour (regular or gluten-free)
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1½ c pre-seasoned breadcrumbs (regular or gluten-free)
If seasoning breadcrumbs from scratch:
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ c of avocado oil for pan frying, or spray avocado oil if air frying.
The easiest way to prepare the tofu is to throw it in the freezer after grocery shopping and then pull it out a few hours before you need it. If time permits, thaw on the counter for 4–6 hours. If not, you may thaw it in the microwave. After it has thawed, press the tofu in some paper towel or a clean kitchen towel between some heavy plates.
Fun Fact: Freezing the tofu helps create a more palatable texture, similar to chicken breast.
- When tofu is thawed, rip into bite-sized pieces. You may also opt to cut them into 1-inch cubes.
- Add the soy sauce, Italian seasoning, and nutritional yeast. Toss to coat.
- Prepare batter:
a. Add flour, salt, and garlic powder to a mixing bowl and whisk until combined.
b. Add unsweetened plant milk and whisk until it creates a batter. Start with ¾ c and add more if needed to thin out the batter. Consistency should be similar to a pancake mix.
4. Prepare breadcrumb mixture:
a. In a mixing bowl, mix breadcrumbs, Italian seasoning, black pepper, garlic powder, and salt.
5. Dip tofu into the batter and ensure it is thinly coated.
6. Roll in the breadcrumb mixture and set on some parchment paper or a wire rack.
These can be pan fried on the stovetop, air fried, or baked.
Pan frying instructions:
- Heat avocado oil in a pan for shallow frying over medium-high heat
- Fry each piece for approximately 4 minutes, turning occasionally to fry each side until golden brown and crispy.
Air frying instructions:
- Preheat the air fryer to 425°F.
- Spray generously with avocado oil or olive oil and add to the air fryer in a single layer.
- Cook for 13–15 minutes, or until nicely golden brown and crispy on the outside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Add tofu to a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 25–30 minutes or until golden brown, turning halfway.