Flu-Busting Fire Cider
As we age, and especially when we become parents, we come to appreciate the value of practical gifts. Sure, a beautiful keepsake or one-of-a-kind piece of jewelry is pretty nice too, but those gifts that have the power to make our busy and chaotic lives just a little bit easier are the real treasures!
While homemade offerings of cookie mixes in a jar or hot chocolate spoons wrapped in pretty ribbons are tasty and enjoyable, enhancing your handcrafted generosity with a dash of good health might be just the thing for a friend or family member who can’t seem to shake those seasonal sniffles!
Gifts from the heart are wonderful, but as an avid maker of fermented food, gifts for the gut are even better! From kimchi to a few bottles of homemade kombucha and Jun, you name it, I have gifted it! And lately, I have upped my gift-giving game by adding “presents for prevention” to my roster. One of my favourite giveaways: fire cider!
Flu-Busting Fire Cider Recipe
Fire cider is a DIY flu-buster tonic you can make at home in mason jars that will both delight and protect those you care about! A fierce combination of apple cider vinegar and anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, and anti-bacterial ingredients, it’s fast, simple, gut-healthy, and liquid gold for flu season!
- 2.5 c apple cider vinegar
- 4 Tbsp honey
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1-inch piece of ginger root
- ½ c pineapple juice
- 2 pieces turmeric root, medium size
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- Combine all ingredients into a 1L glass jar and refrigerate. When it’s time to bestow, simply decant into smaller jars or bottles.
- Attach cute labels with fire cider instructions: Take 1 oz of fire cider upon the first signs of cold or flu. Refrigerate for up to 6 months.