Kitchen Medicinals: Homemade Cough Syrup
This infused syrup is a staple for so many herbalists and naturopathic doctors not only because it works, but because it’s just so easy to make! Featuring ginger, garlic, and turmeric, this sweet remedy is anti-viral, immune-boosting, and helps to soothe a sore throat.
- 1–2 c liquid raw, local honey
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 inches raw ginger root, peeled and chopped into medium-sized pieces
- 1-inch raw turmeric, peeled and roughly chopped
- Fill a mason jar with garlic, turmeric, and ginger and add in enough honey to completely cover the spices. Screw on lid.
- Leave the jar out on the counter for 2 to 3 days to allow the mixture to infuse, then move to the fridge where it can keep for up to one month. Take 1 tsp of the honey mixture every few hours at the first sign of a sore throat, or take 1 tsp daily as preventative. (Note: do not give raw honey to infants under one).