DIY Immunity Wellness Booster
Immunity Wellness shots have become increasingly popular over the past few years. They are packed with powerhouse ingredients and flavour to help elevate your immune system. They are also a great addition during the cold winter months when our immunity levels are more vulnerable to catching colds and flu. Creating your very own immunity-boosting shots at home does not require any fancy juicing equipment or costly ingredients; just a blender and a few ingredients from the produce aisle.
The ingredients are packed with anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, high levels of Vitamin C plus antioxidants that will help support a better-functioning immune system. This recipe is not guaranteed to cure or completely prevent one from getting a cold or flu, but it can provide a much-welcomed boost. Think of it as a burst of sunshine on a cold, dreary day. If you are not feeling well, it is important to speak to your doctor for proper consultation. Once again, this recipe is meant to help support immunity, not treat or cure serious illnesses.
Immunity Supporting Ingredients
Although not the most attractive ingredient, garlic has amazing anti-bacterial properties. Allicin is the compound that contains medicinal properties in garlic. It is important to crush, chop or slice the garlic and let it sit for 10 minutes before consuming in order to activate the medicinal properties.
Ginger is great for soothing nausea and is high in both antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
These roots contain powerful anti-inflammatory properties that can help rid unwanted bacteria in our bodies. The hardworking ingredient in turmeric is curcumin, which can only be absorbed properly when ingested with black pepper.
Orange and lemons are both high in Vitamin C--a vital component in fighting off viruses.
Bees’ nectar also contains antioxidants and is great for soothing the throat. It is a great natural way to add sweetness and balance the flavours of the other ingredients.
This recipe calls for plain coconut water to boost hydration and help blend all the other ingredients. You can omit the coconut water entirely or swap for water instead if the mixture is too thick.
Immunity Wellness Booster
- Fine mesh strainer (optional, if you prefer pulp-free)
- 1 orange, skin peeled
- Juice of 1 lemon (this way the seeds aren’t added)
- 2 medium-sized cloves of garlic (3 if they are small)
- 1-inch fresh ginger
- 1-inch fresh turmeric
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 1 apple, peeled, for added sweetness (a great swap for honey)
- ¼ cup plain coconut water (you may omit entirely or swap for water)
- Black pepper (add just before consuming beverage)
1. Crush or slice garlic before preparing other ingredients in order to activate its medicinal properties. Let it sit for ten minutes.
2. Place ingredients in the blender, and blend on high for about a minute, ensuring that all ingredients have blended thoroughly.
3. Strain the mixture through a fine-mesh to remove any unwanted pulp or drink as is depending on your preference.
4. Just before drinking, add a dash of black pepper, mix and enjoy! Have one serving per day (approx. 50ml) and refrigerate for up to three days. Enjoy!
Be sure to share your Immunity Wellness tips with us this winter by tagging @ecoparent on social media.