A Very Berry Crumble
The Canadian growing season is short and sweet. Berries are a beloved part of its bountiful harvest with over 200 species of berries that range in taste, colour, and nutritional value.
Take advantage of the fresh selection of berries available this summer! They make a great addition to the diet, being low in sugar and high in antioxidant properties that help support the immune system, vessel health, and more!
This time of year nurseries and garden centers stock up on many varieties of berry plants, including strawberry, mulberry, blueberry, blackberry, honeyberry, gooseberry, raspberry and serviceberry, to name a few (are you drooling yet?). Buy some to plant on the edge of your property. This small investment will quickly pay for itself once there is enough of a yield to eat or prepare into jams, preserves, smoothies, pies, syrup, and dried fruit. Your kids will love running outside and eating right off the bush!
For an idea on what to do with your berry bounty, try this delicious gluten free berry crumble: perfect for dessert at home or to impress at the next outdoor BBQ!
Very Berry Crumble
Ingredients: Serves 6
For the crumble:
- 1/3-cup buckwheat flour
- 1/3-cup almond flour
- 1/3-cup coconut flour
- 1-cup oats
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup pecans, roughly chopped
- 200 grams cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
For the filling:
- 4 cups mixed berries, washed (strawberry, blackberry, blueberry, raspberry)
- ¼ cup dried raisins (can substitute with currants, cranberries etc.)
- 1 tbsp. flour (any kind)
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Place the flours, oat flakes, brown sugar and butter in a large bowl. Using your fingertips, rub all the ingredients together until it resembles chunky breadcrumbs.
- In a large baking tin, toss the berries with the flour (from the filling list), sugar and lemon juice until combines. Add the crumble mix on top of the filling and spread over the top until everything is evenly covered.
- Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes or until the crumble topping is golden brown and the fruit is soft and bubbling beneath. Serve in generous portions with a drizzle of fresh cream.