Sweet Seasonal Sweet Potato Soup
This is a great time of year for savory seasonal produce! Eating seasonally is so important because it encourages fresh, local, and healthy eating habits. Make the most out of produce this fall and support your local produce farmers!
Visit a farmers market, join a CSA, or check where your grocery store produce originates to find the freshest, healthiest ingredients to make this warm and savoury root vegetable soup--perfect for the cooling temperatures!
Sweet potato and carrot soup
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 tsp. ginger, fresh grated
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2-3 stalks thyme
- 3-4 medium carrots, scrubbed and chopped
- 1.5lbs (680g) gram sweet potatoes, scrubbed and chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups of water
- In a large pot over medium heat add the coconut oil and sauté the onions until they become translucent.
- Add the sweet potato, carrots and garlic. Cook for 5-7 minutes; stirring frequently.
- Add the 2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Add the thyme and reduce the heat. Simmer until all the vegetables are very soft. Add the chicken stock and bring it back to a boil. Reduce back to a simmer and remove the thyme steams.
- Puree with an immersion blender and season with salt, pepper and ginger to taste.