Recipe originally published by Eden Foods.
- 1 small butternut squash, cut in half lengthwise and remove seeds
- 2 c thinly sliced onions
- 2 Tbsp EDEN Extra Virgin Olive Oil, to sauté onions
- 1 pinch EDEN Sea Salt
Cookie Dough Pie Crust
- 1 c EDEN Oat Flakes
- 1/3 c EDEN Soft White Pastry Wheat Flour
- 1/3 c organic unbleached flour
- 1 1/2 tsp non-aluminum baking powder
- 1/2 tsp EDEN Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp EDEN Sea Salt
- 1/3 c chopped pecans
- 1/4 c Thompson Organic Seedless Raisins
- 1/4 c EDEN Dried Cranberries
- 1/4 c EDEN Safflower Oil
- 1/4 c EDEN Apple Juice, or Unsweetened
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp EDEN Barley Malt Syrup
- 2 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp chopped pecans, for topping
Preheat the oven to 400°. Oil a baking sheet, place squash cut side down on the sheet. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until tender. Remove from the oven and let cook slightly.
While the squash bakes, heat 2 tablespoons oil in a medium saucepan and sauté the onions with a pinch of salt over medium-low heat until they are translucent and begin to caramelize. Scoop the squash out of the skin and place in the saucepan with the onions. Thoroughly mix and set aside.
To prepare the cookie batter, place the oats, two flours, baking powder, cinnamon, sea salt, pecans and raisins in a mixing bowl. Stir to mix well. Add the oil, apple juice, maple syrup, vanilla, and barley malt and mix thoroughly. Oil a 9" x 13" cookie sheet or pie plate and press the cookie batter down firmly to flatten, forming a pie crust about 1/4" to 1/2" thick. Bake the pie shell for 20 minutes until slightly browned. Spread the squash and onions evenly over the pie crust. Sprinkle the chopped nuts over the squash and bake another 5 to 7 minutes. Remove, let sit to cool, slice and serve.
Founded in 1968, Eden Foods is the oldest principled independent organic food company in the United States. Its mission is Creation and Maintenance of Purity in Food. Eden brand is the authentic alternative to commercial food; the purest, best tasting grains, beans, and vegetables on the planet, from known trusted growers. Healthy soil, long-term organic, non-GMO.