Backyard Barbecue Blistered Tomato Salsa
Salsa and chips are summer backyard must-haves! While store-bought salsa is great, nothing compares to the freshly made stuff. Bright, picante, and perfect for dipping or on burgers, this sweet and smoky salsa goes next level by grilling the tomatoes, onions, and jalapeno.
- 4 large Roma tomatoes
- 2 small heads of garlic, peeled and finely minced
- 1 large jalapeno, seeded and cut in half
- ½ red onion, peeled and sliced into 1 cm rounds
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- Juice from 1 lime
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste
Note: Roma tomatoes have less liquid and work well for a chunkier salsa, but any ripe tomato will do in a pinch!
- Fire up your barbeque until it’s nice and hot.
- Place the tomatoes, pepper, and onions directly onto the grill and cook, flipping frequently, until the tomatoes and jalapeno blister and blacken. The onions should end up with some beautiful char marks. Remove from heat and set aside until cooled.
- Gently remove the blackened outer skins from the tomatoes. Toss the cooled grilled vegetables, garlic, lime juice, and spices into a food processor and pulse until your salsa reaches the desired consistency. Serve with chips and cut up vegetables for a delicious backyard snack.