Summer Lovin’ Sundae Stations!
It’s not quite summer yet, but as sunny days grow in number, so do our kids’ appetites for sweet, cool treats. Packaged ice cream treats are often laden with preservatives, artificial colours, and sugar in one form or another! Don’t let organic or all-natural products sneak past your label-reading radar – just because a product is in a health food store, or makes claims of being a healthy option, doesn’t mean it is good for your child. Choose products with few ingredients – and ones that are whole foods, no-sugar added, and free of preservatives and colours. Or, skip the costly packaged treats altogether in favour of getting your kids in action in the kitchen to make their very own sundae station. You’ll know it’s a healthy option, but I promise they won’t be rolling their eyes when they dig into these refreshingly delicious homemade sundaes.
Homemade Fruit Ice Cream Ingredients
- 2.5 cups frozen fruit of your choice, local & organic if possible (we used mixed berries)
- ¼ cup organic whipping cream or coconut cream
- Honey, maple syrup, or dates to taste
Healthy Toppings Station
Gather several small dishes and have the kids fill them with your toppings. Add a small spoon to each (or even one to share among them).
Here are some topping ideas:
- Hemp hearts
- Flax seeds
- Chia seeds
- Sunflower seeds
- Shredded, unsweetened coconut
- Coconut flakes
- Cacao nibs
- Carob chips
- Nuts such as walnuts, almonds, macadamia, hazelnuts
- Diced up dates
- Optional: Whip up a chocolate sauce using coconut oil, honey or maple syrup and cocoa or cacao powder!
Make Your Ice Cream
This is truly the easiest ice cream you can make at home!
1. Get your kiddos to place all the ingredients into your blender or food processor, starting with the softer ingredients first (sweetener and cream).
2. Blend until smooth. You’re done. Seriously.
Note: If your blender isn’t very strong, you may have to add more whipping cream
Super Healthy Sundae Station
Scoop out the ice cream into dishes and add toppings from the sundae topping station for a too-crazy-good-to-be-healthy sundae!
For a delicious banana version of this ice cream, check out this recipe.