A Lactation Cookie Alternative
This tasty breakfast-style muffin contains fenugreek seeds, which are known for their milk-supply-boosting powers and have been used by women for that purpose for centuries. Most health food stores carry fenugreek in some form or another and it is relatively inexpensive. Fenugreek is a galactagogue (promotes lactation) that is also high in fibre! It's well-known for not only producing increased milk in mothers, it also has the unexpected side effect of causing the mother’s sweat and urine to smell like maple syrup – which really isn’t all that terrible. If, however, you find that you or baby is experiencing loose, watery or green stool, you should discontinue use. Avoid fenugreek during pregnancy, as medical dosages are considered to be a uterine stimulant. If you suffer from a peanut or chickpea allergy, you will want avoid fenugreek as they are from the same family.
Lactation-boosting cookies have been around for a while, but muffins have been a missed opportunity! Not everyone likes a cookie and these milk-production muffins will fit right in at breakfast.
- 1 1/2 cups large flake oatmeal
- 1 cup milk of your choice (regular, almond, etc.)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tbsp agave (or sugar, honey)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 4 tbs ground flax meal
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds (shelled and raw)
- 3 tbsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup grated fresh zucchini
- Grind up oats in a food processor or blender and combine with milk to let sit for 30-45 minutes until the moisture is mostly soaked up by the oats.
- Combine brown sugar, agave, apple sauce, vanilla, egg whites, oil and mix well.
- In a third bowl, combine whole wheat flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, seeds, flax, and whisk to mix well.
- Mix oats and milk with the sugar and applesauce mixture and mix well.
- Add in dry ingredients slowly and then fold in the blueberries and zucchini until just mixed.
- Scoop 1/4 cup of mix into each lined muffin cup before baking for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
These muffins can be stored in an airtight container for up to one week and should be enjoyed with a cup of your favourite tea while snuggling your baby. Bon appétit!
*Originally published December 18, 2015